NORTHERN RIVERS RAIL TRAIL SUCCESSES IN 2017
* A very successful crowd funding campaign, raising over $75,000 to put towards a business case for the Casino to Eltham section of the trail.
* Engineering mapping has been completed from Casino to Eltham and beyond as part of the business case development, paid for by your crowd funding donations.
* $6.5M promised by the State Government for the Murwillumbah to Crabbes Creek section of the trail.
* Lots of market stalls and increasing support from locals.
* Increase in number of Facebook followers – not only from locals, but from interstate and overseas.
* Legislation change for Tumbarumba Rail Trail – paving the way for other rail trails in NSW.
* Petition started by Lismore local member Thomas George, to help obtain matching Federal Funding for the State Funding.
*A generous $17,500 donation was received by Brian Hodges’ WWW.foundation.
* We have engaged GeoLink who have put forth a proposal that will adequately cover the required environmental and heritage assessment activities. This will be covered by the WWW.foundation donation.
*Our Expression of Interest for the State Funding for the Casino to Eltham section was sadly unsuccessful the first time round, but we may be eligible for alternative programs within the $1.3 billion Regional Growth Fund that was announced in the 2-17-2018 budget. Councils are continuing to support the trail and we will continue to work with them on the business case.
*Field surveys of the bridges are being undertaken and alternative designs done for those that are beyond repair. This will help to give more accurate costing details.
* Trip to NZ trails by the financial consultant for Tweed Council and Norm Case who is one of our engineering experts. The trip was designed to assist us in a plan for funding ongoing maintenance of the trail.
* Tweed Council has experts looking at the timber bridges in their region.
* Community consultation by the NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet has started in the Tweed region and will continue into January next year.
* We are very pleased to now have Jenny Dowell, the previous Mayor of Lismore local government area, join our committee. Jenny has been a great support for the trail and will be a huge asset to our group.
* We are working on a Sponsorship Policy which will encourage the involvement of appropriate community and corporate sponsors in the provision of programs, facilities and events.
One of many old timber, trestle bridges on the Casino to Murwillumbah corridor.
The Elements Solar train had its launch day which was very successful. We wish them all the best with their venture and congratulate them on an amazing project coming to fruition.
We hope to have the rail trail running beside the train one day. In the meantime, you can put your bike on the train for the 3km journey to Elements from Byron. The train will not be extended to Mullumbimby by the Elements team.
Cycling is taking off! Senior members of our community love it! Here is a Christmas shot of members of the Northern Rivers Bush Walking Club (who also cycle!) and Northern Rivers Rail Trail Supporters. They love to spend money on refreshments.
If everyone can make a small donation to help keep our organisation running, it would be a great help. We spend money monthly on maintaining the website, mail chimp, facebook, markets, printing, postage and merchandise. We use our own money for travel and petrol and many other incidentals. We want to try and not eat into the crowd funding money which has been earmarked for the business case.